Friday 24 October 2014

New Pattern: Ashton Lane Shawl




Last week, at the Glasgow School of Yarn, my shawl inspired by Ashton Lane won 2nd place in the design competition!  You can find it now on Ravelry, and join the Glasgow Shawls KAL as well (more about this later in the post)!  

Knitted top down from a garter tab, short rows are used to create sweeping lines of yarn overs to mimic the hanging strings of fairy lights so familiar to Ashton Lane.   After the yarn over ‘lights’, the shawl transitions to a ‘cobblestone’ section created with increasing size slipped stitches and purl rows - creating a wee sense of perspective & depth.  

Ashton Lane is a tiny cobbled side street in the West End of Glasgow.  Bustling even at the quietest of times, this fairy light adorned lane is a must visit place in the west end of Glasgow, with restaurants, pubs, cinema and nightclubs all packed into this tiny space.  For me, it’s the first and last port of call on a night out, and I’d take anyone who visits me in Glasgow here.  It’s not a trip out in Glasgow without a half-pint under the fairy lights. - I have a half pint, because large beer make me look even smaller.  It's true, see:




Knit in Ripples Craft BFL sock, it's a gorgeous grey as well, and the beads lend a really nice weight to the whole item.  I'll work on a wee beading tutorial this evening, so check back in a couple of days if you need a little additional help!  In the meantime, there are lots of very helpful youtube videos.  

The KAL!  Never fear, I haven't forgotten.  From the start of November, with a finish date at the end of December, there's a wee Knit-Along in the OwlPrintPanda group on Ravelry.  There'll be a couple of wee prizes, and a 10% discount on all of my Glasgow inspired patterns and 15% discount on my etsy yarns for those taking part.   Feel free to join in at any stage!  







No comments:

Post a Comment




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...