Saturday 18 July 2015

Guest Post: Louise Tilbrook Designs

After the blog post on relaxation, knitting and 'What is Mindfullness?' last week, there was a bit of chat in internet-land about what each of us do to unwind.  


Louise (of the very lovely Louise Tilbrook  Designs) shares her view of calm & crafting, and I'm sure it resonates with many of us.  She is a sock knitting queen!  And creates some really very beautiful sock patterns which are available on ravelry

"Crafting for me has become such an integral part of my life that I've almost forgotten why I craft in the first place - it's like breathing. I craft therefore I am.  Knitting was and remains my first love. I knit for many reasons but if I had to pick one, I would say for relaxation. My husband might dispute this as he watches me try for the third time to execute a long tailed cast on over 300 stitches, but the rhythmic, repetitive act of knitting soothes and calms me more than I can say.

Obviously, not all knitting is created equal. There are times when my poor frazzled brain craves nothing more than a simple garter stitch blanket. At other times, the focus needed to work out a tricky heel turn or to follow a complex lace chart are just the kind of distraction needed from some external source of stress.

And, invariably, knitting is something I also do whilst doing other things; watching TV, reading, listening to podcasts, cooking, watching offspring at sporting events - the list is endless. The one thing I never do is knit and drive, but I do pack spare knitting just in case of long motorway delays.

Recently I have started spinning using both a wheel and a drop spindle and interestingly I had found that when I spin, it's all I do. I don't feel the need to pop the TV on or catch up with a podcast. It's just me and the fibre - soothing, meditative and yet stimulating at the same time.

I used to think that with knitting and more recently with my design work I had no time for another hobby. But increasingly I am aware that there is a place in a life for both - each just fills it's own niche perfectly."

You can find Louise on 
twitter: https://twitter.com/Madmumknits 
blog: http://www.louisetilbrookdesigns.blogspot.co.uk/
ravelry: http://www.ravelry.com/designers/louise-tilbrook




And some of my favourite socks from Louise, which were published in the Pom Pom Magazine!

(c) Juju Vail (for Pom Pom Magazine)




What do you think of craft & chilling out?  Or about the mindfullness movement?




:)

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful socks boots type you have made, I am simply amazed by your work. Guide us too with this skill and help us making our own stylish boots socks, Thanks

    ReplyDelete




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...