Sunday 11 January 2015

Knit: a Short Row Toe


I *adore* short row toes.  They're like magical little wrappy turny pouches of toe-holding goodness.  And what's even better is that you do the exact same for the heel!

Top down socks seem to be far more prevalent on Ravlery, & it seems quite a few folk have never knit this kind of toe before.  It's a great easy (once you get the hang of it) start for a toe up sock which makes for a very smooth toe.   I like toe up socks mainly because I like to see it grow in proper socky shape, and they're nice to try on - yes I know we can try on top down ones too, but it's just not the same for me if my toes are peeping out.


This is simply my semi self-taught method of knitting these toes.  There may very well be several other way to do it, but this works well for me and gives me a nice finish.


Do you knit toe-up socks already?  What's your favourite sock method?







There may or may not be one or two mistakes...  They're deliberate ones *nods*.


 ---
In words, if you find it more helplful:


Work Judy’s Magic Cast On.

Row 1: K across all sts.
Row 2: Sl1, P to 1 stitch before end of needle. Turn.
Row 3: Sl1, K to 1 stitch before end of needle. Turn.
Row 4: Sl1, P to st before last slipped stitch. Turn the slipped st.
Row 5: Sl1, K to st before last slipped stitch. Turn the slipped st.

Repeat rows 4 and 5, working one less stitch in each row, to complete the bottom half of the toe.  I’d suggest repeating these two rows 8 more times (approx. 9 times total).  This is really up to you. 

For the second half of the toe, you’ll need to pick up all of these stitches you left behind on the first half:
Row 1: purl to your turned stitch, slip this and pick up the wrapped st around it.  Purl these two stitches together. Turn.
Row 2: knit to turned stitch.  Slip this and pick up wrapped stitch.  Knit these two stitches together. Turn.

This does mean that, in the following rows, you’ll likely be encountering two wrapped stitches in addition to your slipped stitch.  Just pick both of these up and knit three together before wrapping & turning again. 

 ---



I'll also be releasing a couple of sock patterns very shortly, which use short row toes.  If you'd like a wee heads up when they're released, you can sign up for the news letter:


Subscribe to the mailing list :)

* indicates required





So, are you still daunted by the short row toe?



4 comments:

  1. I tried out a pattern for super bulky socks (trying to destash, bored to tears of hats) and one pattern used short row heels and toes. I like short row heels, seeing as I can never pick up stitches evenly for heel flaps and they look ghastly, so I tried it. Love it, looks smooth, feels smooth, and it's almost like doing magic when I make them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never done toe up socks...... currently on the needles are some socks which require my first ever afterthought heel. There are so many options and possibilities with socks. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so brilliant to use Judy's Magic cast-on instead of a provisional cast-on! I haven't seen this anywhere else and I'm so excited to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice to read your article! I am looking forward to sharing your adventures and experiences. pilates toe socks

    ReplyDelete




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...